Please note: to reduce email spam, we denote our URL domain "qmedichealth.com" as [ourURLdomain.com] where contact information is provided.
Professional Caregiver/Payer FAQ
- Are Medical Alert Systems the same as Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS)?
- What type of PERS systems can QMedic offer my clients?
- Does my member need a cell phone or a home phone to use the PERS? What cell phone carrier does your PERS use?
- What is QMedic Direct Connect? Can Mobile GPS units utilize it?
- Is there a wrist option for Mobile GPS systems?
- Does QMedic offer other Durable Medical Equipment services (e.g. CPAP, canes, O2 machines, etc)? Does QMedic have the ability to supply a medication dispenser with the unit?
- How do I access dashboard monitoring?
- When was the last time my member tested their device? Is QMedic able to make monthly test calls?
- Which shipping methods does QMedic use?
- Can we locate the in-home wearable button, the mobile GPS PERS, and/or the member?
- My member lost/broke/wants to swap their unit hardware. How do I arrange to have it replaced, and will it cost anything?
- Is QMedic able to provide communication or instructions in other languages?
Member Account Administration
- What is your referral process? For example, how many days out should I start the authorization, where do I find the referral form and where should I send it once it is filled out?
- What is the start date or termination date of the service for my client?
- Am I able to suspend my client’s service?
- My member’s service is being terminated. How should they get the equipment returned to you?
- If I have a member who previously used QMedic and cancelled, and is now interested in using QMedic again, how do I arrange resuming the service? Do I need to resubmit a referral?
- Does QMedic charge an installation fee / do I have to create a service order for the installation as well as the monthly service? What if it’s shipped?
- My member has a unique billing circumstance (e.g. CDCS agency, takeback requirement, out-of-pocket copay, private pay switch, etc). Who should I discuss it with?
- What are the billing modifiers to use on a referral?
- QMedic is not currently a participating provider in our payer network. How do we contract with QMedic?
Many professional caregivers refer to Medical Alert Systems as Personal Emergency Response Systems, or PERS, for short.
At QMedic, we use these terms interchangeably so feel free to use either term, medical alert or PERS, when requesting in-home or mobile systems for your members.
QMedic offers both in-home and mobile PERS medical alert options for Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) and Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) partners. When comparing medical alert options, please note that an in-home PERS system will only work within approximately 500-1000 feet from the base station, while a Mobile GPS system will work inside and outside the home. The advantage of in-home systems is they require no battery recharge, while the Mobile systems offer more mobility for able-bodied users.
Here’s a snapshot of each:
- Cellular In-home Medical Alert Systems: this is a completely standalone smart medical alert system placed in the home. There is no need for the member to have a home telephone, cell phone or Wi-Fi. The in-home cellular medical alert system works on QMedic’s partner 4G cellular networks. At the care manager's option, the QMedic cellular system is able to utilize passive activity, sleep and wear compliance monitoring to support member wellness outreach in the home.
- Landline In-home Medical Alert Systems: this system requires a standard hardwired telephone line. Installation of the landline system is simple but it is important to note that the base station must be tethered to the hardwired phone wall jack, which limits where you can place the base station within the home. The landline option requires the user to have an active landline telephone connection.
- Mobile GPS Medical Alert Systems: Mobile GPS medical alert systems work both in the home as well as out in the community, wherever there is 4G network coverage (most of the United States depending on the cellular provider - AT&T or Verizon). There is no need for the member to have a home telephone, cell phone or WiFi. The Mobile GPS system works on QMedic’s partner 4G cellular networks.
If the member is eligible for each of the above systems, we will discuss the above options with them over the initial setup call and provide whichever PERS the member prefers, unless you explicitly request one of the medical alert systems above.
Only for the in-home Landline medical alert system is a prior telephone service necessary. We only recommend in-home Landline systems in very rural areas without any cellular connectivity. 99% of the time, we will provide either the Cellular or Mobile service, for which no existing phone service is required.
The in-home cellular PERS systems run off the AT&T 4G Network as well as some regional networks; AT&T 4G is the default network for the in-home cellular system.
The Mobile GPS PERS system runs off either Verizon or AT&T; Verizon is the default network. If your member needs a specific carrier due to the limited connectivity in their area, please note that on the referral form and we will accommodate.
QMedic Direct Connect is a unique feature we offer enabling the medical alert base station to call out directly to any 10-digit phone number over the two-way speaker.
The Direct Connect feature is a care manager favorite as it can help you get in touch with hard-to-reach members during difficult situations (e.g. weather events, power outages, etc). It is also a convenient way to get in touch with members who just don’t answer their phones.
Unfortunately, only the QMedic in-home medical alert systems are able to utilize Direct Connect.
Our default Mobile medical alert systems are not compatible with Direct Connect.
We are currently able to offer a belt clip or wrist conversion kit for our mobile GPS medical alert system, essentially a pouch for the device that can be worn around the wrist. This cannot be used with Fall Detection units.
We are testing a Mobile wristwatch option that may be available in the future.
QMedic focuses solely on providing in-home and Mobile GPS PERS systems currently.
Contact QMedic at 877-241-2244 option 1 or email support@[ourURLdomain.com] and provide an email address and we can provide you with access.
Call 877-241-2244 option 1 or email support@[ourURLdomain.com] and we can provide information about the last test and/or set up a monthly call to remind the user to test their button.
Typically we will ship QMedic's in-home and Mobile GPS medical alert systems with USPS, but under certain circumstances (expedited shipping, signature required, etc.) we will use Fedex. Just let us know what you need and we’ll be happy to accommodate.
If the member loses their in-home wearable button, please call 877-241-2244 option 1 or email support@[ourURLdomain.com] for a replacement. The in-home wearable buttons will be replaced free of charge, while a lost Mobile device may incur a replacement fee.
We may be able to assist in trying to locate a mobile GPS medical alert device under certain circumstances. The Mobile+ device (distinct from default Mobile device) has a real-time tracking feature that the consumer’s family can access through either a mobile or desktop app, but be aware that we provide the Mobile+ unit upon specific request only, not as the primary mobile GPS option.
Typically, the only thing you need to do is bring it to our attention by calling 877-241-2244 option 1 or emailing support@[ourURLdomain.com]. We will reach out to the member to provide a replacement free of charge, including a return label if they need to return any equipment.
If a member repeatedly loses or breaks a unit, these circumstances would incur a replacement fee. We would discuss these fees with you and the member to ensure a seamless and transparent resolution for everyone.
Both the QMedic office staff and the QMedic monitoring center are able to communicate with members in many different languages through a real-time phone translation service. Additionally, we have bilingual employees on staff to support Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese and Arabic.
Member Account Administration
This varies by Managed Care Organization (MCO) and Area Agency on Aging (AAA/ASAP) partner. Some organizations have an internal referral program that we receive by email or fax. Any referral can be made by email/fax through our own simple referral form. Once QMedic receives the referral it is typically processed the same day, i.e. account added and initial setup call made. Referrals requiring a specific start date can be noted, and we will honor that request.
Referrals, authorizations and care service plans can be emailed or faxed:
- Email: referrals@[ourURLdomain.com]
- Fax: 617-904-1745
The referring care coordinator/care manager will receive an automated email once the start date has been set. Termination dates are typically assigned by the date provided by the MCO or AAA.
Call 877-241-2244 option 1 or email referrals@[ourURLdomain.com] if you have additional questions.
We will suspend a member’s account for a short time period if they are expected to return to the community and continue PERS service. The Care Manager will need to notify us of the suspension, and then again when the time comes to resume service.
We are happy to provide a prepaid shipping label (and box if necessary) to whomever is helping arrange the equipment return. Just let us know if we should be discussing with the member, emergency contact, or you and we will arrange to provide the return label either by email or by regular mail, whichever is most convenient.
Email support@[ourURLdomain.com] for assistance on PERS equipment return.
While you will need to submit a new service authorization for your organization (MCO/AAA) to cover services, you will be glad to know that you do not need to submit a new referral to QMedic.
Once you have generated a new service authorization in your system, just email the member’s name, member ID and new authorization number, if applicable, via secure email channel to referrals@[ourURLdomain.com]. You can also send any new contact information and we’ll be happy to get the service reinstated right away.
We only charge an installation fee when an in-person installation of an in-home or Mobile medical alert system takes place.
A large majority of our units are shipped by mail. There is no fee for shipping. You can assume that no installation authorization is necessary unless we specifically reach out to you to request one.
Please email support@[ourURLdomain.com] with your member’s name and member ID and the details of the billing question. If another agency will be handling billing for the member, please include the contact information of the representative of the billing agency whom we should contact to make arrangements - both their phone and email would be appreciated.
Please note this question is only relevant to New Jersey and Texas partners.
New Jersey MCO waiver program:
- No U = In-home Landline Medical Alert System
- U1 = In-home Cellular Medical Alert System
- U2 = In-home Cellular Fall Detection System
- U3 = Mobile GPS Alert System, including Mobile with Fall Detection
- U4 = In-home Landline Fall Detection System
Texas MCO waiver program:
- U3 U3 U3 - Waiver CFC
- U3 U3 - Waiver Non-CFC
- U7 U7 U7 - Non-Waiver CFC
- U7 U7 - Non-Waiver Non-CFC
If you are interested in contracting with QMedic, please contact us at 877.241.2244 option 2 or email sales@[ourURLdomain.com] to get started.
Consumer/Private Pay FAQ
- What if I start using QMedic and I am not happy with it?
- When does the 30-day money back guarantee begin?
- Is there a long-term contract required?
- What if I lose or damage my wristband/pendant or base station?
- How much does the system cost?
- What is the cost of purchasing additional wristbands/pendants for the system?
- Are there other fees besides the monitoring fees?
- Does the QMedic system work without a landline?
- Do I have to have a cell phone for the cellular service to work?
- Do I have to have WiFi for the cellular service to work?
- Does the QMedic system have automatic fall detection?
- Does the QMedic system work outdoors?
- Is QMedic covered by my insurance?
- I'm an existing customer and I need help with my system, are there any resources I could use to help diagnose the issue?
- I need to cancel my existing service. How would I go about doing that?
- What is included in the QMedic System?
- How soon after ordering will my system arrive?
- How do I setup QMedic in my home?
- Where should I place the base station in my home?
- How far away from the base station will my wristband/pendant work?
- How do I set up the list of contacts that the call center should call to notify in the case of an emergency event?
- Can I edit the list of contacts once I’ve submitted it?
- How do I set up my activity monitoring dashboard account?
Wearing the Wristband/Pendant (In-home System)
- Is the wristband/pendant waterproof?
- What type of material is used to make the wristbands/pendants?
- Should I wear the wristband/pendants at night?
Call Center & Emergency Services
- Is the QMedic monitoring center available at all times?
- How long does it take the call center to answer after the button is pressed?
- Is the QMedic monitoring center located in the USA?
- What number will show up on my phone if the monitoring center reaches out to me when my loved one presses their button?
- Can I arrange to have a caregiver called before emergency medical services in the case of an emergency?
- What happens if I am not able to communicate after pressing the button?
- What if the call center operator can’t hear me during an emergency due to distance from the base station?
- What if I accidentally press the emergency button?
- Is there a cost every time I call for help through QMedic?
- How will emergency personnel get into my home if needed?
- How do I clean the wristband/pendant?
- How long is the battery life of the wristband/pendant?
- How do I check the battery level of the wristband/pendant?
- What happens when the battery on my wristband/pendant is running low?
- How long is the battery life of the base station?
- How can I test the system to make sure it is working?
- How do I alert QMedic if my information changes?
We offer a 30-day money back guarantee with no questions asked.
Your 30-day guarantee starts the day you receive your device in the mail.
For existing customers prior to January 1, 2021, there are no long-term contracts.
For customers beginning on or after January 1, 2021, the only medical alert service QMedic will offer is an annual plan paid upfront (with 30-day money back guarantee). There is no cancellation fee, but we would not reimburse after the 30-day money back guarantee.
If you were a customer with QMedic prior to January 1, 2021, we will honor the original plan you signed up with (e.g. monthly, quarterly, annual) and continue billing you per that cycle.
Call us (877.241.2244, option 2) to order a replacement.
As of January 1, 2021, for in-home medical alert systems, QMedic offers an Annual Plan at $300/year. There are no hidden fees. While QMedic does not offer refunds, the service does come with a 30-day money back guarantee. There is no monthly plan available to new customers on or after January 1, 2021.
For Mobile Medical Alert Systems with GPS that QMedic sells, we offer an Annual Plan at $400/year. This service also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. There is no monthly plan available to new customers on or after January 1, 2021.
If you are an existing customer with QMedic as of January 1, 2021, we will honor the original plan you signed up with and continue billing you per that cycle.
Yes, it is possible to order an extra wristband/pendant for the in-home systems (not available for Mobile Medical Alert System). Our in-home base stations can support up to two buttons each. There is no added cost.
However, if you order two wristbands/pendants for the same machine, QMedic does not support activity and sleep monitoring as this data would be inaccurate. If data monitoring is important to you, we recommend purchasing two separate base stations, each with their own aligned wristband/pendant, at full cost. If you would like to order a second wristband/pendant, please call us on our toll-free sales line at 877.241.2244 (option 1).
No. QMedic will not charge you any fees beyond the annual service fees, unless you need to order a replacement component of the system (e.g. wristband/pendant, base station, etc.).
Yes, QMedic offers an in-home cellular medical alert system that transmits over the cellular network in the case that the user does not have a functioning landline. The system is still only intended for use within the home and yard as the wearable device will NOT transmit data/voice call signals when out of range of the base station.
We also offer a Mobile Medical Alert System with GPS that works outdoors and can be used to track location.
No, the QMedic base station has a SIM card within the device that connects to the cellular network. It does not need to connect with the user’s cell phone.
No, the QMedic service does not require an Internet WiFi connection.
No, QMedic's system will not automatically place a call in the case of a fall. The button must be pushed in order for the emergency call to be placed. We are currently evaluating fall detection technology, but are still in the design and testing phase for the immediate future.
The QMedic system features 1,000 feet of range between the bracelet/pendant and the base station. This typically covers multi-bedroom homes, including front and backyards.
If the subscriber goes outside of this range, the device will not transmit emergency signals to the base station. Once the user comes back within range, the bracelet/pendant will resume transmitting data and emergency signals to the base station.
QMedic does offer a mobile medical alert system for outdoor use. This system features GPS and is distinct from our in-home medical alert systems.
Currently, if you are on Medicaid, or a Managed Medicaid/Medicare Advantage program, you may be eligible for coverage/reimbursement for QMedic's service in the following states: FL, GA, IA, IN, KS, MA, MN, NC, NE, NJ, OH, PA, TN, TX or VA. If you have questions regarding your eligibility for insurance coverage of QMedic's service, please call our toll-free Sales line at 877.241.2244 (option 1).
Yes, visit our online Technical Support reference guide for help with your issue.
Let us know by phone or email that you would like to cancel your subscription and we will provide you with a return label and an empty box if you don't have one. We can send the label by email or by regular mail. Note: we will not cancel your subscription until we get the hardware back in our possession. If you have sent the hardware back at the time of your subscription renewal and we can see that the box is en route, we will refund the charge.
The QMedic system includes the base station, base station power cord, base station phone cord (for landline option only), wristband/pendant and instruction manual.
If you live in the Continental United States (48 states or District of Columbia), you will receive the unit within 3-5 business days of purchasing if you order before 4:30pm EST. If you order after 4:30pm, please allow for one extra business day. If you live in Alaska and Hawaii, please allow 7-10 business days for USPS/Fedex ground shipping. If you need the device sooner than that, you can pay for premium expedited shipping.
[Update as of 1/1/21: Due to national USPS delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we cannot guarantee delivery within the standard time frame. If you need the device quickly, we recommend expediting shipping.]
Setting up QMedic is easy and takes less than 10 minutes. There are 5 easy steps to set up your QMedic Service:
Step 1: Select placement of QMedic Base Station. The best placement is in a central room where the user spends most of his or her time.
Step 2: Plug the base station power cord in to a standard power outlet (i.e. not one that is controlled by a switch).
Step 3 (for landline option only; if you have a cellular base station, skip to Step 5): Connect the provided telephone cord to the wall jack and the port on the Base Station labeled “Wall.” You will have to temporarily disconnect any phone connected to this wall jack. The line must run directly from the wall jack to the Base Station.
Step 4: If you would still like to have a phone connected to this wall jack, it now has to be connected to the Base Station. Connect the line from your phone to the Base Station port labeled “Phone.”
Step 5: Place a test call to our emergency call center by pressing the wearable help button. An operator will come on the line through the base station, and should be informed that the press was a test.
We recommend that you place the base station in the most central location possible. Make sure that there is a phone and power outlet available nearby for the landline option, or just a power outlet for the cellular system.
In a clear space, the wristband/pendant will be in range of the base station for up to 800 to 1,000 feet. Ultimately, range will vary depending on the environment in your residence. The QMedic system’s range generally extends to the mailbox, driveway, or yard. You should test the range in your space to make sure it is satisfactory after receiving the system.
How do I set up the list of contacts that the call center should call to notify in the case of an emergency event?
After QMedic registers and fulfills your order, you will receive an email with tracking information for the package as well as a link to set up your emergency contacts online. If a business day has passed and you haven’t received an email, we recommend checking your spam filter to make sure the email hasn’t ended up there.
Absolutely! You can reuse the link as many times as you’d like. The new additions to the list won’t overwrite the existing contacts you’ve already submitted. If you want to change the list, please call our toll-free customer support line at 877.241.2244 (option 2) or live chat us to let us know what modifications you need.
After QMedic registers and fulfills your order, you will receive an email with a link to set up your emergency contacts online. Any emergency contact’s email address you include at this point will be emailed instructions to set up their QMedic dashboard so they can log in and see the data from the wearable.
Wearing the Wristband/Pendant
Yes, the wristband/pendant is waterproof. You should have no concern wearing your wristband/pendant while taking a bath/shower, doing dishes, cooking or other common household activities.
The button enclosure is a plastic material, the band is a rubber material and the necklace lanyard is a nylon fabric. Note that the wristband button enclosure attachment has standard watch pins, providing you the flexibility to attach a different band if it works better for your loved one.
Yes, you should wear the wristband/pendant at all times so that you can get help in case you need it. It’s not uncommon for someone to experience an emergency after getting out of bed in the middle of the night.
Call Center & Emergency Services
Yes, the QMedic solution is monitored by a UL-listed monitoring center that is open 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.
It takes an average of 30 seconds for a call center operator to come on the line.
Yes, the monitoring center is located in the USA. There are two locations to provide safe and reliable redundancy, one in Utah and one in Idaho.
For the in-home landline or cellular units, the incoming number for the QMedic monitoring center is (801) 781-6101.
For the mobile medical alert unit, the incoming number for the QMedic monitoring center is (801) 781-6173.
If the user indicates to the call center that they are in need of medical help, the call center operator will always dispatch emergency medical services immediately, as not to stall necessary medical care. In the case that the call center cannot communicate with the user, however, you can choose that you would prefer for them to call a caregiver first. This can be useful if a caregiver is close enough to arrive before the EMTs, or if the user has a history of false alarms and you want a chance to check instead of immediately dispatching medical services.
If you are not able to communicate, we will first try to call the home phone line. If we cannot reach you on the home phone line, we will follow the protocol you establish at registration. We can call emergency services or family/friends depending on your preference.
The operators will treat every alarm as an emergency. If the operator is unable to communicate with you, emergency medical services will be dispatched (or your primary contact will be alerted, depending on your predetermined order of contacts). There will never be a case where no action is taken due to lack of communication.
This is no problem. When the operator comes on to the line simply tell him or her that you accidentally pressed the button. There is no charge for false alarms.
No. You will not be charged a fee based on the number of times you press the button. Also, the base station is dialing a toll-free number, so you will not be charged for the call.
At registration, we will ask you for entry information. When there is an emergency, we can contact friends and/or family that have a key based on information you provide during registration. In addition, you can purchase a front door lockbox and provide the code to us. We will pass the code to the emergency responders for quick access to your home.
The wristband/pendant should be hand-washed with a basic soap.
The battery in the wearable device lasts about two years, excepting rare cases of system malfunction. We keep a close eye on the battery life and will contact you to replace it if we note any issues.
You can call us (877.241.2244, option 2) and we would be happy to check the battery level for you. Don’t worry, we are monitoring battery level at all times.
We are constantly monitoring battery level and we will send you a new wristband/pendant free of charge when it becomes necessary. The new wristband/pendant will be ready to go and automatically connect to the base station. We will also provide a pre-paid package for you to send the old wristband/pendant back to us.
In the case of a power outage or if the system becomes unplugged, the base station’s battery will last roughly 24 hours. The base station will announce aloud immediately if it loses power for any reason.
You have the option to test the device as often as you like. We recommend you test once per month. Simply press the button at any point and tell our operator that it is just a test.
Call us at 877.241.2244, option 2, and we would be happy to make any necessary changes to your information in our system. If you move, it is important that you notify us so that the emergency services know what address to come to in the event of an emergency.